- What if I don’t have enough money?
- What if my kids aren’t okay?
- What if I don’t get pregnant?
- What if I have cancer?
- What if I don’t love my partner enough and I’m making a terrible mistake?
- What if I don’t have enough friends?
- What if I’m straight?
- What if I’m gay?
- What if I’m a pedophile?
- What if I have an STD?
- What if there’s a terrorist attack ?
- What if I’m in the wrong career
How many of these thoughts have you struggled with? And have you found that you can resolve one thought only to find that another pops up in its place? That’s why anxiety is a game of whack-a-mole: if you whack down one mole (thought) without addressing it from the root, another will quickly appear in its place…
To read the rest of this blog, please see my book, The Wisdom of Anxiety: How Worry and Intrusive Thoughts are Gifts to Help You Heal (Sounds True, May 2019).